Upcycle Your Well-Loved Yoga Mat
Has your yoga mat reached the point of no return? Wait! Before you ditch it why not get crafty? In celebration of Earth Day, we designed a pattern for a laptop case to help you upcycle your mat and keep it out of the landfill.
All of those positive yogic thoughts can now keep your technology safe!
Supplies: well-loved yoga mat, thread, buttons, crafting needle, ruler, pen, scissors, craft paper
Pattern: Place your laptop on some craft paper and measure using the diagram below—
Cutting your mat:
- Choose the best section of your mat and place pattern on top
- Mark the pattern on your mat using a ruler and pen
- Cut the mat along the pattern using the scissors
- Place face down the side/colour of the mat that you want for the outside of the case
Attaching buttons and sewing the case:
- Fold the bottom of the mat up the to the flap
- Decide where to place the buttons by marking the spot lightly with a pen
- Thread crafting needle and attach buttons. Double the thread to save time. Wind thread around button hole stitches to accommodate the thickness of the mat
- Stitch up each side of the case. Use a weight to keep mat in place while stitching
Making button hole slits:
- Lift flap and with the pen mark out where the centre of each button hits the flap
- Cut the slit using scissors keeping in mind that the slit should be slightly bigger than the button
Slip your Laptop inside: Voila! You have yourself a Laptop Case filled with some Good Karma.
*thanks to Maria @ Halfmoon for creating this pattern!*
Here are some other ways you can upcycle your mat:
- Animal shelters: soft mats to line crates and pens
- Homeless shelters: sleeping pads
- Kitchen: no slip drawers, grips to open lids, shelf liners
- Gardening: Weed barrier, knee pads
- Camping – extra padding under sleeping bag
- Kids: cut into squares and make bases for baseball, anti-slip mat in the bathtub, playdough mat
- Car: floor mats, trunk protector, seat protector for pets
- Livingroom: anti-slip under area rug
We would love to see the laptop case you’ve created or other ways you’ve upcycled your mat. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or share on Facebook or Instagram.